Monday, December 24, 2007

The Papa Loco (the crazy potato)




Tonight we went out to the Dessert Storm which is to me one of the finest restaurants in Mazatlan. It is famous for 2 things, its crazy potato and for its name because it is misspelled, it should be Desert Storm. It is not open during the day and does not start serving the Papa Loco until around 7:30ish, the reason is they don’t open until 7 pm and then they fire up their BBQ grill and put the potatoes on to bake. The Papa Loco is a baked potato, a really big potato. It is baked on the BBQ and then they scrape the potato out and whip it with creama (my favourite) and Chihuahua cheese and put back into the potato shell. By then the slices of beef are done grilling on the grill and it gets put on a chopping block and chopped into fine strips and put on the potato that is served with 2 tortillas. Then you take your plate to the buffet table where you can load it up as much as you want. I really wanted to take a picture of the buffet table as well but I knew that would really scream “tourist”, although Lydia figure I had already crossed that line when I took a pictures of my potato. Toppings available are, lettuce, radishes, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, beans, 2 different kinds of red salsa, green salsa, guacamole, and a few different kinds of peppers....I might be forgetting some stuff but you get the idea. It is really such a simple meal but it is sooo good. There are many street vendors that sell Papa Locos as well which are good as well but they usually don’t have as many toppings to choose from as these guys do and they just don’t seem to be as fresh either. Maybe when I come home I’ll set up a Papa Loco stand on a corner somewhere, I’ll sell Tostitos Locos as well.......I’ll tell you about them next time, when I have pictures....another genius idea. If you have high speed click on the little picture.....it will make you hungry, I dare you.

No comments: